Geopolitical zones in Nigeria is an important factor in determining ethnic groups or tribes that culturally share a semblance. Ironically, the zones are not entirely carved out based on geographic locations, but rather states with similar ethnic groups, and/or common political history were classified in the same zone.
In this post, we highlight and list all the geopolitical zones in Nigeria and the states in which they belong.
Geopolitical Zones in Nigeria
Nigeria has six (6) geopolitical zones and all the thirty-six (36) states of the Federation are grouped under these zones. The six geopolitical zones were created under created during the regime of former dictator and Head of State, General Sani Abacha.
Below is the list of the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria and the states under them.
There are 6 states in the North-East geopolitical zone of Nigeria, namely:
The North Central geopolitical zone of Nigeria is composed of six (6) states and the Federal Capital, Abuja. They are:
- FCT, Abuja
The states in the North West geopolitical zone of Nigeria are seven (7) states and they are:
The South East geopolitical zone of Nigeria has 5 states. They are:
The six (6) states in the South South geopolitical zone in Nigeria are:
- Akwa Ibom
- Cross River
The states in the South West geopolitical zone of Nigeria are six (6) and they are:
- Nigeria has 36 States
- There are 6 geopolitical zones in Nigeria
- The Southwest geopolitical zone contains 6 states
- The Northeast geopolitical zone contains 6 states
- The South South geopolitical zone has 6 states
- The Southeast geopolitical zone contains 5 states
- The North West geopolitical zone of Nigeria is made up 7 states
- The North Central geopolitical zone of Nigeria contains 6 states as well as the Federal Capital, Abuja