The Nigerian passport is a travel document issued by the Nigerian government via the Nigerian Immigration Service to Nigerians for the purpose of international travels. The new Nigerian passport, now referred to as ‘enhanced e-passport’, is an improvement of the previous Nigerian passport which has been around for a while.
The Enhanced E-Passport is part of the new reforms approved by the Federal Government of Nigeria. It is a product of an intensive review of the existing e-passport booklet which has been in circulation for over 10 years and has only 5-year validity.
In this post, we talk about everything you need to know about the Nigerian Enhanced E-Passport, its requirements, benefits and how to apply. You can also read the list of all Visa Free Countries for Nigerians 2019.
Features and benefits of the Enhanced E-Passport Reforms
- Introduction of a new security-enhanced passport;
- Polycarbonate technology that enhances the quality of the passport;
- Ten-year validity booklet that saves a frequent visit to passport offices;
- Automation of the issuance process to bring about transparency and address touting/middlemen;
- Strictly online payment based;
- Introduction of Electronic Document Management System that will ensure:
- Tracking of application,
- Effective communication with applicants on the status of the application, and collection,
- Eliminate human interference,
- Enhances document storage system,
- Enhances prompt decision making,
- Ease process flow,
- Provision of conducive processing environment for applicants;
- Provision of effective and compliant address mechanism.
Categories of the Enhanced E-Passport
The new Passport is available in these categories
- 32 page 5-year validity (Adults and Minors)
- 64 page 5-year validity (Adults and Minors)
- 64 page 10-year validity (Adults (18+) only)
There is an option for adults to pick from any of the three categories stated above. However, young children of less than 18 years of age, have the option of choosing between category i and ii only. 10-year validity passport is not for persons below 18 years based on ICAO specifications and due to expected change in their physical appearance.
Official Fees of the Enhanced E-Passport
|S/N||CATEGORIES OF PASSPORT||APPROVED PASSPORT FEE|
|NAIRA (N) (local)||DOLLAR ($) (foreign)|
|1.||32 Page 5-year Standard Passport||25,000.00||130.00|
|2.||64 Page 5-year Standard Passport||35,000.00||150.00|
|3.||64 Page 10-year Standard Passport for adults only (18 years and above)||70,000.00||230.00|
|4.||32 Page 5-year Official Passport||15,000.00||N/A|
Requirements of the Enhanced E-Passport
Requirements for the Nigerian Enhanced E-Passport is the same with old passports with regards to application types. In addition, the National Identification Number (NIN) is required and mandatory for issuance of the New Passport.
Note: Data on the old passport will be the same on the Enhanced E-Passport.