Are you looking for a detailed list of Nigerian universities that accept third-class for Masters Programme? If yes, then look no further! It is no news that it can be difficult to further one’s studies in Nigeria if one graduates with a third-class degree. It is even much worse to get a job. However, there are various steps one can take to pass through this hurdle, these are: work experiences and postgraduate studies.
Many Nigerian universities would only accept a minimum of a second class lower division Bachelor’s degree. This can seem discouraging for those who did not do too well in their undergraduate studies.
This is why many people want to know whether there are universities that accept the third class for a Masters degree programme in Nigeria. Well, there simply are good schools at that.
This article provides a list of institutions in Nigeria that admit third class honours degree for a Master’s degree. Read through to find out the requirements to be met in order to gain admission into these schools with a third-class degree.
Below is a list of Nigerian universities that accept third-class for Masters Programme:
Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT)
This university accepts candidates with a third-class degree, however, such must have obtained a University Postgraduate diploma with a CGPA of 3.0/5.0. Students that meet these requirements can be considered for admission into Academic Masters degree programmes as well as Professional Degree Programmes.
University of Benin (UNIBEN)
With a third class degree and a Postgraduate diploma with the school or any other recognized university, you can be considered for admission for a masters program.
University of Ibadan (UI)
Surprisingly and most fortunately, the University of Ibadan is by far one of the most lenient when it comes to degree classes and unarguably one of the best institutions in Nigeria. Here, you can apply for a Masters degree as long as you have relevant work experience, a PGD. Courses that are open for a masters degree in University of Ibadan are:
- Master of Professional Ethics
- Professional Masters in Business Computing
- Professional Master’s Degree in Forensic Science
- Master of Managerial Psychology
- Professional Master of Science in Legal Criminology and Security Psychology
- Master of Social Work
- Professional Master Degree of Agroforestry
University of Jos (UNIJOS)
UNIJOS has a variety of options for third-class degree holders. It is required that a candidate for a Master’s degree must have obtained a PGD or in some cases, some work experience. These courses are:
- M.Sc. Computer Science
- M.Sc. Microbial Biotechnology/M.Sc. Food and Industrial Microbiology/M.Sc. Environmental Microbiology
- ALSO READ: Online Masters Degree: How to Enroll From Nigeria
- M.Sc. Clinical Psychology/M.Sc. Organizational Psychology/M.Sc. Social and Terrorism Psychology
- M.Sc. Architecture
- M.Sc. Urban and Regional Planning.
Lagos State University (LASU)
With a Postgraduate diploma, one can be given admission into Some Master’s programmes at this university such as a Masters in International Relations and Strategic Studies (MIRSS)
Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
This university offers a master’s degree for third-class degree holders as long as they meet the qualifications with include at least 5 years of post-graduation work experience.
Ambrose Alli University (AAU Ekpoma)
This university makes some exceptions to its rules of having at least a second class degree before one can obtain a master’s degree. For instance, those who have an LL.B with third-class honours and a B.L. and who have at least five years post-call experience may be considered for the LL.M programme.
You can also have an M.Sc. Architecture if you have an updated portfolio and are successful at an interview with the Department of Architecture.
You will also be considered for admission into some of the master’s programmes if you have a third class bachelor’s degree plus PGD or HND and any other professional qualification from a recognized University.
The available options are:
- Postgraduate Diploma in ArchitecturePostgraduate Diploma in Geography and Regional Planning
- Postgraduate Diploma in Electrical/Electronics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Postgraduate Diploma in Materials/Production Engineering
- Postgraduate Diploma in Botany
- Postgraduate Diploma in Industrial Chemistry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Zoology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED)
In order to be considered for admission into a master’s degree in this university with a third-class degree, you will need to have a PGD in the same course, for example, a Masters in English communications would entail you have a PGD in the same course.
Taraba State University (TASU)
Taraba state university offers opportunities to third class degree holders to pursue a masters degree in the faculty of Agriculture as long as they have five years of practice experience
Kaduna State University (KASU)
KASU accepts those with a third-class degree for a Postgraduate diploma and from there, having graduated with nothing less than a CGPA of 3.50, one will be considered for admission for a master’s degree.
Igbinedion University Okada, Edo State, Nigeria
Candidates with not less than a third-class honour bachelor’s degree from any recognized Nigerian university in the course of study or any other related one can apply for a Postgraduate Diploma and then a Master’s degree.
University of Calabar (UNICAL)
Some departments in the Faculty of Agriculture, Forestry and Wildlife Resources Management such as the:
Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology
Department of Crop science, as well as the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, accepts third class degree holders with a Postgraduate diploma.
Cross River University of Technology (CRUTECH) CRUTECH
This University accepts those who have a Bachelor’s degree with third-class honours from any other recognized University for a Postgraduate diploma. In fact, instead of demanding for 3.5 CGPA before being considered for admission into a master’s program, CRUTECH allows you to have only 2.75 CGPA
Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU)
At Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University, candidates with a third class degree in areas other than Education can be considered for a postgraduate diploma only after three years of relevant postgraduate experience.
While candidates will be considered for Professional Masters’ degree if they graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in the third class division and at least five years of relevant working experience.
Covenant University (CU)
Covenant University accepts candidates with a third-class degree provided they have a PGD with the 3.50 CGPA.
Osun State University (UNIOSUN)
There are several options available for candidates with third class degrees at UNIOSUN, below are these courses and their requirements:
- Professional Master’s in International Studies (MIS) and Master in Intelligence and Strategic Studies (MISS)- 5 years of working experience in a relevant field
- Professional masters in Environmental Management- PGD or 3 years of working experience
- Professional Masters in Disaster and Risk Management – 3 years of working experience
There you go, all the best in your pursuit to further your studies.