Each of the fruits and vegetables that exist have wonderful properties that significantly benefit our body and health, but very few of us know everything they are capable of contributing and consume them without even knowing everything we put in our mouths.
Vegetables are the foods most hated by humans, but they are also the ones that give us the most benefits to keep us healthy and for this simple reason is that we should include them daily and eat them with pleasure. One of the vegetables not so consumed and that provides great contributions to the body and health is the eggplant.
Among the benefits of eggplant we find that it is a detoxifying food, that is, it favors the elimination of undesirable substances from the body, it also helps with the control of blood pressure and favors digestive processes.
Health Benefits of Eggplants
- It contains Vitamin A, B1, B2, C, folic acid, which helps to strengthen the immune system and improve disease resistance.
- It is rich in minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and phosphorus, which helps prevent arthritis, osteoporosis and heart disease.
- It is low in calories, fat-free and has a lot of water; A cup of eggplants contains just 38 calories, which makes it a perfect food for those who take good care of their health and want to lose weight.
- The skin of the eggplant has nasunin, an antioxidant that only has this vegetable that is responsible for delaying aging.
- It is recommended for anemic or osteoporosis because it has a high content of calcium, phosphorus and iron, the ideal food for those suffering from anemia or osteoporosis problems.
- It has chlorogenic acid, which helps reduce bad cholesterol and fight free radicals.
- It is rich in flavonoids, these pigments are well known for helping to improve certain qualities of food and for providing protection to cells against various harmful agents.
- It is rich in fiber, which causes great satiety effect and the proper functioning of the digestive system.
- It is rich in antioxidants and prevents certain types of cancer or heart disease, there is no better way to boost the immune system, the body’s energy levels and keep the heart healthy than with this vegetable. It also lowers cholesterol and helps prevent atherosclerosis.
- It protects the cell membranes of the brain, which favors the sending and receiving of the messages from the molecules to the cells.
- Contains terpenes, these compounds help reduce cholesterol.
- It reduces the level of glucose in the blood, as diabetic people should be very careful with their diet due to the ease with which they can raise or lower the sugar, so it is highly recommended for them to eat eggplant.
- The slight bitter taste that it possesses is due to the compounds it possesses, which are recognized for their purifying effect, making the liver better functioning and facilitating the work of the gallbladder, favoring the digestion of fats.
- It is an antioxidant and prevents Some types of cancer or heart disease.
Eggplants Fun Facts
- Always remember to eat it cooked, since it has a toxic alkaloid that causes intestinal disorders and severe headaches, which is destroyed by cooking.
- To remove the bitter taste it is recommended, from one night before eating it, to place some uncooked slices in a container containing salt water, rinse them the next day to remove the excess salt and cook them.
- Eggplant oil is used to treat rheumatism.
- Drinking half a liter of eggplant water per day for a week helps lower cholesterol.