Hameed Ibrahim Ali also written as Hamid Ali (born 15 January 1955) is a retired Nigerian Army Colonel and current Comptroller General of The Nigerian Customs Service NCS). He was appointed to the Comptroller General position by President Muhammadu Buhari on 27 August 2015. Col. Ali served as Military Administrator of Kaduna State, Nigeria (August 1996 – August 1998) during the military regime of General Sani Abacha He is married to one wife and has 4 children.
As governor, in October 1997 he sacked about 30,000 striking civil servants in Kaduna State, and detained 18 local government chairmen. A journalist who reported on the sackings was allegedly arrested, severely beaten, then taken to the Government House and further tortured. The story published in Tempo Magazine was entitled “Goodbye Justice”. The story was later discredited and proven to be false.
After retirement, he became the Secretary of the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), a northern lobbying group, and a supporter of Major General Muhammadu Buhari in his bid to run for president. In June 2006 Ali stated that the North would regain the presidency in 2007. He supported Vice President Atiku Abubakar’s comments to the effect that President Olusegun Obasanjo would honour his pledge to vacate office in 2007.
In 2017, Hameed Ali was embroiled with the 9th Senate in a battle of supremacy in 2017 after the Nigerian Senate and the Nigeria Customs Service Comptroller-Genera appeared before the senate in mufti to explain Customs policy to car owners and dealers nationwide to pay duties on their vehicles between March 13 and April 12, 2019, or risk having their cars impounded.
The showdown between the two heightened after he was sent away by the lawmakers and ordered to return in the official uniform.
Hameed Ali’s reluctance to wear the Nigeria Customs’s uniform because he was a former military man undoubtedly divided Nigerians who believe his reason for not wearing uniform is not tenable while others thought the Senate should focus on other things instead of focusing on such a ‘trivial’ matter.
Legal practitioners had their say in the matter, adding that the constitution does not make it necessary for Hameed Ali to wear the NCS uniform.
Below are some facts about the Nigeria Customs Service Comptroller-General, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd).
- Hammed Ibrahim Ali who hails from Bauchi State was born on January 15, 1955 and holds Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Criminology.
- He served as Kaduna State Military Administrator from August 1996 to August 1998 during the military regime of General Sani Abacha.
- The Customs boss retired from the army unceremoniously during Olusegun Obasanjo’s presidency.
- After his unceremonious retirement, Colonel Ali who is of steely character suitable for incorruptible values became Secretary of the Arewa Consultative Forum, a northern lobbying group, and a supporter of Major General Muhammadu Buhari in his bid to run for president.
- He was in charge of the management of Buhari’s campaign funds and the Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari before being appointed as the Comptroller-General, Nigerian Customs Service.
- He is married to one wife and has 4 children.