In recent years, coconut has become one of the most versatile ingredients in world cuisine, especially when it comes to health care through recipes based on natural and organic ingredients. Thus, we can find coconut flour, coconut oil, coconut sugar, coconut water, among other products.
However, one of the most important properties of this fruit is the water that is inside, since it not only has a flavor that has conquered the most select palates in the world but has also shown to keep a series of benefits that make it an ideal drink for those who want to keep the body in an optimal state.
According to information provided by the Mayo Clinic, one of the benefits of coconut water is that it is low in sugar and calories, unlike other fruits whose sugar content is higher.
In addition, this liquid contains natural electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, and manganese; However, it should be noted that the amounts of each of these nutrients vary according to the maturation of the coconut when the water is extracted.
These properties make it especially useful for people who practice sports on a regular basis, as well as for people who are affected by a picture of dehydration caused by diarrhea, although surprisingly, although coconut water could replace energy drinks, not It has been shown to be more effective than simple water.
The same portal confirms that, according to the studies that have been carried out on the samples, it has been found that 8 ounces of this drink contribute between 45 and 60 calories.
Health Benefits of Coconut Water
- It helps improve insulin secretion and blood sugar utilization.
- It contains magnesium, a mineral that keeps the nervous system healthy – being a natural tranquilizer.
- It does not contain cholesterol – so it is a good option for heart health.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Increase calcium absorption capacity.
- It is a natural antioxidant: At least in animal studies, it has been shown that coconut water is capable of reducing triglyceride and insulin levels. This is because approximately 75% of saturated coconut fat is composed of lauric acid, which helps reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
- It is good for digestion: It helps fight constipation and parasites
- It helps reduce fluid retention; it has been shown that coconut water can contribute to increase urine production while reducing blood sodium levels
- It helps fight the symptoms of the following conditions: Arthritis, osteoporosis, premenstrual syndrome, diabetes, and epilepsy.