Snail is a common name given to a member of the class of mollusks Gastropoda. In ancient times these snails are usually hunted by farmers because regarded as pests. But after learning that this animal has a wide range of benefits, where this animal contains a lot of protein and also contains essential amino acids complete so that the snails do not go unpunished.
Even meat extract and snail slime contain benefits for treating the lining inflammation of the eye, pain due to menstruation, itching, toothache, and others. Not only for health, but there are some types of snails that are beneficial for skin beauty. Even in other countries, the use of snails for skin beauty is already popular.
In Nigeria, Snail is somewhat expensive than the regular beef, chicken or Turkeys, particularly in highbrow cities such as Port Harcourt, Lagos and Abuja. We discuss the health benefits of snail in this post.
Health Benefits Of Snail
1. Snail contains Omega
Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of polyunsaturated fat that can not be produced by our bodies. So, Omega-3 is important as essential fatty acids. Omega-3 itself is formed of fatty acids like EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid), DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) and ALA (a-linolenic acid). When you are consuming Omega-3 regularly every day without an excessive dose, many benefits can be obtained. Among them:
- Assist in the development of the brain and memory of children. Omega-3 is very good to improve our brain health because it affects the development of cell membranes in the neurological system in the brain, in addition to omega 3 can improve memory so it is suitable for those who often forgetful.
- Prevent heart disease. Omega 3 is very useful for preventing diseases related to the heart due to omega 3 can make arterial organ becomes more elastic than that omega 3 can reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
- Lowering high cholesterol levels. Studies that have been conducted eating fish that rich in omega 3 regularly is very useful to raise good cholesterol and also shown to lower levels of triglycerides and LDL cholesterol in the blood. But keep in mind, when you consume snail in case you just wanna get the function of omega 3 (lowering cholesterol) you likely will not be able to do that because the snails have high cholesterol content.
- Healthy eyes. Omega 3 is excellent for improving eye health in general. in 100 grams of snails also contained 100 UI Vitamin A that is good for the eyes.
- Healthy fetus. Pregnant women who consume Omega-3 can make more babies born healthy and intelligent, it also improves the quality of breast milk. Omega-3 is essential for improving mental and physical health of the baby.
- Increase the child’s development. Children who frequently consume omega 3 it is very good to help the physical and mental development of children.
2. Snail Contains Protein
When compared with other sources such as In 100 grams of beef contains 14 grams of protein, one serving of 3 ounces of tuna fish contains 22 grams of protein, salmon contains 19 grams of protein in 3 ounces, while Snail protein containing 16.1 g or 32% DV. This amount is more than all sources except mutton reached 27 grams in 100 grams. This amount, which is higher than the eggs. Meet the protein by 32% in 100 grams helpful for:
- As the enzyme. Protein has a major role to speed up biological reactions.
- As a mean of transport and storage. The protein contained in hemoglobin to transport oxygen in erythrocytes. The protein contained in myoglobin to transport oxygen in the muscles.
- For mechanical support. One form of fibers of the proteins called collagen has a function to maintain the strength and durability of bones and skin.
- As the body’s defenses and immunization body’s defenses. Protein is commonly used in the form of antibodies
- Preventing disease kwashiorkor and marasmus. Both diseases are caused by protein deficiency.
- protein can also help in the wound healing process, the cells regeneration to regulate the hormones and enzymes in the body.
3. Snail Contain Vitamins
Snail contains vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B1, B3, B6, and B12. Vitamin A is beneficial for the health of the eyes, while vitamin E may act as an antioxidant. then Vitamin B1, B3, B6 and Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that is needed to prevent and control diabetes.
Snail contains vitamin that dominates vitamins are vitamins A, E, niacin, and folate. Vitamin A is good for the eyes, vitamin E is good for cell regeneration and skincare, niacin has a role in the carbohydrates metabolism to produce energy, and folate is good for pregnant women.
Snail in addition to containing Vitamin E, mucus can be used to treat inflamed pimples. Developed countries have a lot of snail slime processing with advanced technology and serve as the base material for beauty products. In addition, the snail slime can help regenerate the skin and facial wrinkles.
4. Snail Contains Choline
Choline is an important water-soluble vitamin, which is often classified by the vitamin B group. Choline has many important functions, including being an integral part of the cell membrane, the raw material for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, and donors to the methyl group are required by a number of vital processes in the body. The liver is an organ that can produce some choline, but most needed by the body. So it must be obtained from food sources. The recommended daily choline intake for men is 550 mg, and 425 mg for the woman, while the snail contains 65 mg.
Choline is an essential component of the network known as the nervous system and brain nutrients that are important to maintaining brain function. Choline is also known to be required in building and maintaining healthy cell membranes. Besides it, choline plays an important role in protecting the liver from fat accumulation and help transport triglycerides from the liver. Cholin has the ability to break down fat so it is useful to prevent the buildup of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream. Choline is essential for the fetus and infants to help the growth of the brain, therefore, the baby should drink breast milk that rich in choline.
5. Snail is high in Iron
Snail is high in iron (about 3.5 mg or 19% of DV). Iron is a vital substance needed by the body to ensure the availability of the required number of blood cells every day. In the body, these substances are very important for our survival helps transport of oxygen into the tissues of the lungs and transports electrons in the formation of energy in cells. When transporting oxygen, iron needs help from other nutrients such as protein which later merged to creates hemoglobin (in red blood cells) and myoglobin (in the muscle fibers).
6. Snail Contains Magnesium
Snail contains high levels of magnesium. Magnesium plays important roles in the body, which is needed for more than 325 enzymatic reactions, including involvement in the synthesis of fats, proteins, and nucleic acids, neural activity, muscle contraction, and relaxation, cardiac activity and bone metabolism.
7. Snail is high in Phosphorus
The importance of the phosphorus is in the second rank to the total content of calcium in the body. The main function of phosphorus as a conduit of energy for the metabolism of fats and starches, as supporting healthy teeth and gums, for DNA synthesis and the absorption of calcium consumption dam.
8. Snail is high in selenium
Selenium are important minerals and nutrients to fight diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Selenium is synergistic with vitamin E, which means that both work very strong equally. Both are powerful antioxidants that help to prevent the aging and hardening of tissues through oxidation. The mineral selenium is essential for many body functions and can be found in every cell of the body, which is mainly in the kidneys, liver, spleen, pancreas, and testes. In men, half of the selenium in the body concentrates in the testicles and part of the vas deferens or around the prostate gland.
But, Snail has a bad side for our body too. Let’s check it out:
- Low calorie and zero fiber. in addition, it has low-calorie content, snail also contains zero fiber. If the normally low-calorie foods that are always associated with diet, the snail is not good food for diet, because it does not contain fiber
- high cholesterol. Snail contains high cholesterol. Do not expect to benefit from omega 3 and omega 6, because it is not able to cover the dangers of high cholesterol in the snail. So, anyone who has cholesterol exceeds normal limits should not consume snail